No substitute for obedience
1 Samuel 15:22 (NLT) But Samuel replied, "What is more pleasing to the LORD: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams.
Obedience: Compliance with that which is required by authority; Subjection to rightful restraint or control.
Disobedience: Neglect or refusal to comply with authority; Violation of a command or prohibition.
*Mercy and grace of God will take you to your next level but obedience is the key to maintaining what He has bestowed upon you.
Patterns to Saul's disobedient nature:
1 Samuel 15 was not Saul's first act of disobedience actually it was his second; hence we see a pattern.
*See 1 Samuel 13:8-14
It was his disobedience nature that caused Saul the throne and not just that one instance.
Romans 6: 1 - What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
There is no substitute for our obedience to God because when we disobey Him:
- He is displeased- Revelation 4: 11 - Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Ecclesiastes 3:26- For to the one who pleases him,God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy,
- We misplace our fear (reverence) -In 1 Samuel 15: 24:" Saul said to Samuel, ' I have sinned; for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice.'"Saul disobeyed God because he feared the people more than God. He feared the human consequences of obedience more than he feared the divine consequences of sin. He feared the displeasure of the people more than the displeasure of God. And that is a great insult to God. Samuel had said twice to Saul and the people in 1 Samuel 12: 14; 24, " Fear the Lord, and serve him faithfully with all your heart." But now the leader himself has feared man and turned away from following God.
- We commit the sin of divination. 1 Samuel 15:23 (NLT) For rebellion is like the sin of divination,. What is divination? God hates divination – Deuteronomy 18:10-12. Divination is when you look for a way to seek solution to a situation while ignoring God's word and His counsel. In disobedience, God says one thing, and we say, I think I will consult another source of wisdom most often our own! Disobedience to God's word puts our own wisdom in the place of God's wisdom which negates His person as the only sure and reliable source of wisdom.
- We commit the sin of idolatry-1 Samuel 15:23 "stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry". The spirit of disobedience gives the impression that we can take care of our business our own way, so we do not need God. In a nutshell we are our own god! Precisely why Saul chose not to wait for Samuel and perform the priestly rite and the same reason he chose the best of the goodies of the Amalekites. Isaiah 42:8 God says I am the Lord:that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
On the positive side, there is no substitute for obeying God because when we yield to Him and obey Him we do realize that
- His Commandments Are Not Too Hard: Deuteronomy 30: 11 says, " This commandment which I command you this day is not too hard for you." And 1 John 5: 3 says, " This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome"
- 2.Everything God Commands Us Is for Our Good: Deuteronomy 10: 12—13 says, "And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments and statutes of the Lord which I command you this day for your good.
- Our Obedience demonstrates our love for Him . John 14:15 -If ye love me, keep my commandments. 2 John 1:16
- It's a proof of our faith in Him- when you obey God; you are showing a complete trust and reliance upon Him. You are telling Him that you believe He knows best and has your best interest in His heart. Your obedience is saying it may look right to me at present but you O God are already in my tomorrow, so Ill just go ahead and trust your judgment
Maybe you too like Saul has been a repeated offender in the area of obedience to heavenly instruction, the beauty of it all is contained in 1 John 1:9 which says" If you confess your sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive your sins and cleanse you from all unrighteousness"